Wednesday 9 October 2013

To Rahul Dravid, with respect, love and lots of admiration.

Last week, Rahul Dravid played his last match at the Ferozeshah Kotla Grounds, Delhi. The last gentleman left in the gentlemen’s game has bid adieu to the game. There was a hollow feeling growing within me since his retirement last year but now with him not around anymore there is just sadness and nothing else. I was a little school going boy around seven years old when I first saw him and he became my role model quite instantly. It was like I grew up watching him. He and VVS were like a family to me. His game, his way of talking, calmness and composure and I think I can go on endlessly. The list of things which attracted me towards him is way too long to describe.

Turning back the clock, I always used to defend him in front of anyone who dared to speak against him in front of me back then. I wonder how much life has changed. I am grown up, I do not collect pictures and articles written on him which I used to do when I was a shy school going boy. Now, when he is going away I wonder why did I grow up. Whenever he made a hundred I used to get good sleep. He made me love the game of cricket. And his exit now, means that cricket will be poorer in every sense. His epic partnership with VVS at Eden Gardens in 2001 will remain in hearts forever. All his hundreds stood out but the ones like Hamilton-1999, Kolkata-2001, Headingly-2002, Adelaide-2003, Mohali-2008, Lord’s-2011 are still very special.




I was able to witness the best part of his career which was during 2000 to 2006 and it was a sheer joy to see him score hundreds in all parts of the world. Then, came a difficult period for him but notched up an amazing hundred against England in the foggy conditions at Mohali in 2008-09. He has always been a team man and has performed almost all the roles in the game. His calm demeanor during criticism made me admire him a lot more. Make no mistake; Dravid is an amazing individual with a strong mind. He is a brilliant orator too.

I hope to see more of him as a commentator or in any role. But, I want to see him. And thanks to him, I was hooked on to cricket and I had a tear in my eye when he left the field after getting out in the CLT20 final. I couldn’t sleep because of the reason that he won’t be there the next morning playing cricket. It felt as if my sister was getting married and will be going away from me. As the case with Rahul Dravid is, a part of me has gone away with him. It is like a family member going away with no chance of returning back.

Today Rahul Dravid, as you move on from cricket, I wish you all the very best for the future with wet eyes. You have given me a lot of joy and pleasure. You are the greatest cricketer I have ever known. Miss you.!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...